Journey to Our Chinese Princess

Saturday, June 10, 2006

A small part done

On Friday, I ran over on my lunch hour to the Bureau of Vital Statistic and not only requested mt birth certificates, I received them too! According to the instructions, you could pay by check, but once I was there the clerk told me no, you need cash or you can pay by credit card at this one machine they have set up. But there was a service charge for using a credit card of course, so I thought forget that the ATM is only in the next building, so I went to get cash. By the time I returned, the clerk had my birth certificates, so I paid for them and went on my merry way to eat lunch. The whole process took only about 10 minutes give or take. I expected a long line and to be waiting quite awhile. The only line that I encountered was for the ATM and that probably was because the other ATM was not working, so there was only one instead of 2.

Today, when we got home from some morning errands and meeting my brother and sister-in-law for breakfast, in the mail was our certified copies of our marriage certificate. I mailed it on Thursday and here it is Saturday and we already have them. Why can't everything be done as quickly. Now, we are still waiting for Kevin's birth certificates. Now at least, we know the check from that have cleared, but MI isn't that far, so it shouldn't be taking this long, but I guess we should start preparing for long waits. Too bad , Kevin wasn't born here in IL, we'd probably have it already. I even ordered Kevin's birth certificate a week and a half before and put a rush on it since I had heard Michigan is slow and since I had to request 2 certain types and the one which has what they call the state seal can 2-4 weeks longer than the othe more basic certified birth certificate. Well, I guess this is good practice waiting since most of the other paperwork & especially the referral has long & unknown length of waiting.

Going to go help Kevin with something in the yard and then make dinner (chicken drumsticks and then watch some Survivor 7 that I have from Netflix. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. Church in the morning and then we have to drive an hour or so to the wake and then before we know it it will be time for bed since we have work on Monday. I'll probably go in for a little bit, since I have to go to my parents anyhow, since I would like to go to the funeral. Kevin will most likely have to work, but since he has only met them once I believe that is understandable. Which reminds me I better check the train schedule for getting from the city to my parents on Monday.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    How exciting! Sounds like you are on the road to adoption. I can't wait to take this journey with you (if you don't mind I tag along?).

    Hope you are having a super day!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahhh the paperchase. My wife and I are just starting this for our second child. We've just started with our social worker and, bless her, she said "Get as much of your paperwork done as possible and when I see you next week you can hand most of it in."

    Best of luck and hopes for a quick paperchase!
    Ben
    http://home.comcast.net/~benjenn

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Hi Melissa, Great to see you. Sure, feel free to tag along; the more the merrier. It's really good to "see" you here!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Sounds like you are much ahead of us! But then this is your 2nd time around!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home